Monday, February 15, 2010

A HOUSE is a house for me.

House Hunting: Woes and WOAHS!

So.... we're buying a HOUSE!!!! AHHHH!!!!!!!

Here's a link to a bunch of photos of it; once you're in the link, go to "featured tour" down near the pictures and then hit the photo gallery tab at the top of the next page:

[The link no longer works will post pics soon!!!]

!!!! So here's the scoop on what's happened and what's next:

First we found a house in Thornton, just a town away from here, that we really liked! It was newly remodeled, nice yard, finished basement... but I couldn't help but noticing that there was a lot of graffiti, etc. in the neighborhood. So, we drove it at night and actually stopped by a local school to check out an event there. Ross actually got to chatting with a cop, and asked him about crime in the area... and in the most PC way possible, this cop told us pretty much that he would never live in the neighborhood. So we were like, OK! and moved on.

Day 1 on market
So we looked again. Found our house, its very first day on the market. Fell in love. Snuck into the yard and peeked in all the windows before even the showing (vacant). Couldn't stop staring at the shiny wood floors, the fireplace, and spacious kitchen with all new appliances. Felt comfy in the neighborhood- just a few block away from where we're renting now.

Day 2 on market
Second day on the market, official showing with amazing realtor, Mark. I make weird noises of awe and wanting throughout the showing. We know immediately that we want to make an offer. The neighborhood is solid. The updates are outstanding. The yard is huge. This beauty won't last long.

Day 3 on market
Third day on the market, we meet with Mark at his office at 7:30AM. I'm hungover. We sign paperwork for 2 hours and submit our official offer. By 12:45PM we have a counteroffer from the seller. By 1:00 we have our own final counteroffer submitted. Then I sit by the phone and wait. And wait. And wait. Waiting... Aarika, thankfully, keeps me occupied for 2 1/2 of those, but suddenly it's 5:30 and I've heard nothing. Finally, 8:30PM, I get a call from Mark. His voice is heavy and sad. I already know. There's been two other offers. Highest bid, one shot, gets it, due by 12:00 tomorrow. I cry and fret and am sad. I wonder what we should offer. We want the house but also to make a smart financial decision. So much more complicated now.

Day 4 (TODAY) on market
I wake up at 6:30AM, unable to sleep. I fret some more about the offer. This much? That much? Closing costs? ERggggggggg Ross and I talk it over. I call Mark for advice. I call mom for advice. Ross and I talk again. We make a decision. At 9:45AM I'm in Kinko's faxing out our last and final offer; to go to the highest bidder of three- one chance. It takes 15 minutes and $15 to send a 15-page fax! Dang. But by 11:45 we have our answer. This time Mark's voice is quiet, a little tired, but confident. Our bid wins. I find out from our lender that it was a close race; the seller actually called him to check on our credit and qualifications- apparently an unusual move. I go shopping to celebrate and bought a Little Black Dress. (Why??? I don't know.)

Days to come...
Inspections, appraisals, meetings, closing... nothing's official yet and we're not out of the forest yet, but we've won the first battle. :D If all does go well, we're supposed to close by March 15. I'll keep you posted!!!





2 comments:

  1. i love the title of this post. a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This sounds just like an episode of HGTV's "Property Virgins"! Can't wait to see photos...and to actually stay in your home in a month and a half! Yea!

    ReplyDelete