
<--- That's obviously not me. But it is somebody being arrested using Koga. I was hoping for a picture of someone in a twist lock, but this is the best I can do.
Well, this is my first post. I doubt it will be even remotely as good as Jeana's, but bear with me.
I have now officially completed two weeks of the police academy. For those of you who don't know the details, I am attending the Community College of Aurora Basic Law Enforcement Training Academy. I picked it because of the location and the fact that they were still accepting applications when I started looking. The icing on the cake came when I discovered that they are easily the best law enforcement academy in the state of Colorado (I guess that explains the $17,000 price tag). It is not a stress academy (boot camp style), but that is probably a good thing. We are already attending from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday thru Saturday, so I don't know where they would fit in all of the running, push-ups and yelling. The state body that governs police standards (POST) requires academies to provide 550 hours of instruction - this academy provides 797.
I have a test coming up on Tuesday covering the following areas: Liquor Code, Stress Management, Controlled Substances, Laws of Arrest/Search/Seizure, Law Enforcement Organizations, NCIC/CCIC (National/Colorado Criminal Information Center), Community Policing, Criminal Process, Problem Solving, Civil Disputes, and Rules of Evidence. We have also begun our First Responder training, training in the Colorado Revised Statutes, and Arrest Control.
Arrest Control is amazing. POST only requires 62 hours total training in Arrest Control. Our school provides 148 hours of training in Arrest Control, Grounds Tactics, Advanced Koga, Tazer, OC (pepper spray), and Baton. Where as most academies and police departments train in Pressure Point Control (PPCT) or Krav Maga, we train in an actual martial art known as Koga. It is a variation of Aikido created by a former LAPD officer in conjunction with the current head Aikido master Koichi Tohei. It rocks and it is amazing what you can do with it. Since it was developed specifically for law enforcement, it applies directly to the high risk nature of arrest. It is also the only arrest control technique that has never been successfully challenged in court. (I tried to imbed a YouTube video, but our instructors and Master Koga are very adamant about not putting videos on YouTube. They let us video tape the sessions, but we agree not to reproduce them or sell them, etc.)
I get to pick up a gun 2 weeks from yesterday, I'll let you all know how that goes! Driving doesn't start until October 10.
More to come!
Ross, I am so happy for you, finally being able to do what you've always wanted to do! Sounds like an excellent program! Good luck on the exam. I'm sure you'll do great!
ReplyDeleteRoss!
ReplyDeleteIt is so good to hear things are going well. I keep meaning to call and catch up but never seem to find the right time.
Your program sounds really good, and I hope it is a stepping stone to really great things for you.
Maybe I'll try to call you this weekend sometime. I have to give you an "Invincible" update, two issues will have come out since you moved.