E.g, I just ate a bowl of ice cream followed by four oreos. And I'm thinking about getting up to get another one. But I'm resisting. For now :). Yum for mid-menstrual sugar pile-ons. My other indulgence of the week is pictured here -->,
the infamous "Chaco" [pictured is my exact pair, color and everything]. It has been said that no true Colorado resident lives without a pair of these. In fact, two different employees there commented that I was finally "converting" while I was there purchasing them. Well, after not much persuading from several sources about these amazing shoes I decided to try a pair out, knowing REI's generous return policy. Let's just say they won't be getting these back- they are wonderful! It's too early to tell but I've also been having some yucky issues with my left foot lately, and wearing these has seemed to help [possible tendinopathy? Not sure, my doctor referred me to a pediatrist just yesterday]. They are supportive and actually supposed to be great for hiking...!
Another "Oops" Story
One theme of my blog, so I've noticed, is that I've become pretty good at detailing some of my more ridiculous mishaps. I think my mishap of the week this week takes the cake, though.
S0: this past weekend, I knew I had been running pretty low on contact solution but I had yet to actually transfer that need to the grocery list, and so it kept getting neglected. I woke on Saturday morning and decided to go do some shopping, maybe some yard sale-ing, or whatever-- Ross was at academy, I was bored, and ready to get out of the house. I didn't feel like showering so I decided to just throw on a little makeup and some deodorant before I left. As usual, I reached for my contacts last in my routine, picked up the bottle of contact solution to rinse them off, and realized it was pretty much completely dead. I tried just putting them in without rinsing, but had to take them out again because it just wasn't happening.
Then I realized that Ross' contact solution was sitting on the shelf. I thought he had totally run out awhile ago, but when I picked up the bottle I realized there was definitely some liquid in it. I had never used his contact solution before, as he has some kind of "special" solution for his contact lens that he never seems to wear any more. Impatient to get out the door, I made a command decision to give his solution a try. I noticed as I took off the cap and began rinsing my lens with it, that the tip of the contact solution bottle was tipped with bright red. Odd, I thought, as I gave it a quick rinse and quickly popped the contact into my eye.
HELLFIRE does not even begin to describe the sensation that immediately began burning through my eyeball. Feeling as though someone had just coated my eye with acid, I panicked, clawing with my left hand to get my eyelids to open so I could remove what now felt was a foreign, poisoned object from my eye. It took an exhausting amount of focus to fight through the pain, pry my eye open with one hand, and search for the contact in an eyeball that was now slippery from running like a faucet with tears. After four or five blind grabs into my own eyeball, searching for the relieving bend of plastic that would mean that the contact was parting from my cornea, I successfully pinched it and yanked it out. Screaming obscenities, I flung the contact into the trash and pitched the contact solution across the bathroom. Still in immense pain, I opened up the faucet, pried my eye open again, and bathed my open eye in cold running water for about the next 3 minutes. Afterward, eye still burning, I laid down in the fetal position on the carpet for another 10 minutes while I waited for the pain to subside. I had NEVER felt this kind of pain before.
So, this is how I found out that Ross' contact solution is actually a slightly diluted form of HYDROGEN PEROXIDE. Apparently, his contact has to soak in it for a minimum of 6-7 hours and all of the peroxide reacts out in this process. I had failed to read the red, bold, warning that said something to the effect of DO NOT RINSE LENS BEFORE USE, CONTAINS HYDROGEN PEROXIDE.
My eye was a BRIGHT shade of red for the next 48 hours, and I looked like I had been punched in the eye for the rest of the day. And, well, that's my "oops" story of the day.
My short term goal is to start reading labels more often.
On another note, I have a few more photos to collect, and then I'll be posting a bunch about my new school and cohorts. :) I'm so excited!!!
Oh, Jeana! Ouch, ouch, ouch!!! I love your positive attitude about learning lessons from this painful oops! Thank you for sharing so that hopefully, the rest of us will learn vicariously to read the label.
ReplyDeletehaha no problem... if anyone can learn from that ridiculous mistake I would be grateful :D!
ReplyDeleteHaha! Glad to see that were still on the same cycle...somethings will never change! Also, I just bought those same exact sandals...Small world! Miss you!
ReplyDeleteThat's a rough discovery. But it is nice to hear you two have settled in okay. I really hope to hear from you both again soon. Maybe I'll get a chance to visit someday.
ReplyDeleteI think that contact story is hilarious since I can envision it happening in addition to knowing how it feels to have the eye(s) burning from contact related issues. Way to go genius! ;)
ReplyDelete